Should I bring my claim now or later?
Regarding the Illinois Malpractice Statute of Limitations…
The end of the Statute of Limitations is the end of the road for you to be able to recover damages for injuries. Under Illinois law, you have two years from the time the negligent act or omission took place to bring medical malpractice legal claim against a doctor, nurse, dentist or hospital. If you wait longer than two years, you will not be able to recover for your injuries, as your legal claim will be forever barred.
Having suffered injuries at the hands of a medical professional in Chicago or the Suburbs may entitle you to thousands of dollars for your injuries, lost wages, medical bills and long-term care. At the Law Office of Attorney Dan Newlin Chicago, we have proudly recovered over 150 Million Dollars for injury and accident victims and we will fight for you!!! However, if you fail to file your legal claim within this time limit, you lose the right to sue these negligent medical providers and you will be forever barred from being compensated for your injuries.
At the law Offices of Attorney Dan Newlin, Chicago, we are honored to protect and fight for victims of medical malpractice. As the son of a Chicago Steel worker and as a former police detective, Attorney Dan Newlin understands firsthand the importance of helping the good people of Northern Illinois and Chicago recover for injuries resulting from a medical professional’s negligence. On many occasions we find that medical malpractice victims many times involve have more severe injuries and often times are left with permanent physical and emotional incapacitating injuries. Attorney Dan Newlin and his team of experienced medical malpractice lawyers will fight for you!
We are a local law firm, serving all of Northern Illinois with our law offices located in downtown Chicago. No matter where you live in Illinois, Chicago or the Suburbs we are here for you 24 hours a day 7 days week, Attorney Dan Newlin or one of his experienced medical malpractice attorneys will be honored to meet you in person to advise you of all of your legal rights and will be honored to personally help you during this difficult time. Attorney Dan Newlin and his experienced team of Chicago medical malpractice attorneys have proudly recovered over 150 Million Dollars for injury and accident victims. If you have questions about your medical malpractice case call Attorney Dan Newlin now for a free consultation at 312-888-8000.
The Illinois malpractice statute of limitations is only one reason why you should not wait to bring your legal claim and you should consult one of the medical malpractice lawyers at the law offices of Attorney Dan Newlin & Partners as soon as you are reasonably sure that you have been the victim of medical malpractice or dental malpractice. A few more reasons for not waiting to contact a top medical malpractice lawyer are as follows:
- This ensures that you do not run the chance that the necessary evidence cannot be gathered in time before the end of the statute of limitations forever bars your medical malpractice claim. In most situations, one day beyond the statutory period and you are completely without recourse as the limitations periods are hardly ever extended.
- Contacting an experienced medical malpractice attorney as soon as you know or suspect being a victim of medical malpractice allows ample time for the lawyer to discover what happened. For example, there was a case in Utah where a Plaintiff suffered a surgical injury to the sciatic nerve.Initially, the Plaintiff did not act while she dwelled on her options. Immediately before the statute of limitations to bring her medical malpractice claim expired, the Plaintiff consulted a lawyer who was at able to file a legal claim against the doctor. However, the medical malpractice attorney did not sue the hospital and when he got the records a short time later, he discovered that the cause of the injury was a negligent act of a hospital employee and not that of the doctors.Thus, the Utah Plaintiff was unable to recover for her injuries because there was no remedy to go back and sue the hospital as the statute of limitations had already expired. There was nothing that could be done.
- In many states, you must have already filed your medical malpractice lawsuit in a local trial court before you will be granted access to facts and medical records, like x-rays. Many times providers lose these records and delay in providing them, requiring an actively filed legal claim to get their attention.
- You want to pressure the Defendants and their insurance companies to take your medical malpractice case seriously. Many times, you have to file suit in a local Chicago court in order for the doctors and their insurance companies to take you seriously, and you need to gather as much evidence as possible in order to file suit. An unfiled lawsuit is an empty threat that goes into the inactive file and is ignored.
- All medical malpractice legal claims require the assistance of medical experts who can opine as to the negligence of the health care provider. It takes time to find these experts.
- As with any investigation, the necessary paperwork, records, x-rays, reports, etc., need to be gathered as soon as medical malpractice is suspected. The failure to immediately request these records often results in misplaced evidence or lost and destroyed evidence. Also, it is imperative to speak to witnesses immediately as their memories will fade with time and they will not remember the essential facts of the case. Many times witnesses move and are unable to be located. Finally, the closer to the event that the witness makes a statement, the more valuable and credible the statement becomes.
- There are many medical malpractice cases that are settled and do not ever see the inside of a courtroom. However, the negotiations on these cases take months and often years. The longer you wait to bring your claim, the longer it will be before you have any real possibility of seeing actual compensation for your injuries. But, if your lawsuit is filed before your lawyer begins negotiating with defense lawyers, it is in the pipeline, and he can engage in settlement negotiations without delaying the trial if negotiations break down.
If you believe you or a family member have been the victim of malpractice at the hands of a doctor, nurse, dentist or health care facility, call the experienced medical malpractice lawyers at the Law Offices of Attorney Dan Newlin. The attorneys at the Law offices of Attorney Dan Newlin have extensive experience in dealing with medical malpractice legal claims and will make sure you receive all the benefits and compensation you are entitled to as a result of your injury.
My staff and I always consider it an honor to be contacted by the people of Chicago or the Suburbs who have suffered injuries at the hands of a negligent medical professional, and we will always be ready to listen to all of your concerns over the damages and losses you have suffered as a result of their medical malpractice. On many occasions we find that medical malpractice victims many times left with more severe physical and emotional injuries then victims of other types of negligence.
Attorney Dan Newlin and his team of experienced medical malpractice lawyers will fight for you. No matter where you live in Illinois, Chicago or the Suburbs we are here for you 24 hours a day 7 days week, Attorney Dan Newlin or one of his experienced medical malpractice attorneys will be honored to meet you in person to advise you of all of your legal rights and will be honored to personally help you during this difficult time.
Attorney Dan Newlin and his experienced team of Chicago attorneys have proudly recovered over 150 Million Dollars for injury and accident victims.
If you have questions about your medical malpractice case call Attorney Dan Newlin now for a free consultation at 312-888-8000.