Being involved in an automobile accident can be a very traumatic experience. From the moment of initial impact, your whole world can be turned upside down. If you are involved in an automobile accident either as a driver, passenger or pedestrian, or know someone who has been involved, here are a few tips on what you should do immediately following:
- Report the accident immediately: If you are able to, call 911 and report that you have been involved in an automobile accident. Once law enforcement arrives, cooperate with them and explain how the accident happened in detail. If you know of witnesses who saw the crash, politely ask the officer to speak with them as well. Upon completion of the report, ask the officer for a copy of the information, or at a minimum the name of the law enforcement agency, officer’s name, and crash report number.
- Seek immediate medical attention: Injuries sustained in auto-accidents can vary from minor to severe to life threatening. If you are experiencing any pain, including mild pain or discomfort, immediately seek medical attention. If medical assistance is offered at the accident scene, consider having the paramedics examine you. If you have insurance, your Personal Injury Protection will automatically cover the majority of the ambulance ride to the Emergency Room and the ER visit. If you don’t have insurance, the ambulance and hospital will treat you just the same.
- Get the names and contact information for all witnesses: It will always help to have this information. Our office will immediately contact all witnesses and have them interviewed by a professional investigator. If you do not know the witnesses personally, they are considered to be “independent observers”, and their statement could help in any disputes about how the accident occurred.
- Take photographs at the scene: If at all possible, find a way to take photographs of all vehicles involved and any road hazards that may have contributed to the accident (construction barriers, potholes, debris, etc). Anything will do! These can even be taken from a cell phone or disposable camera.
- Call Dan Newlin & Partners at (407) 888-8000: My experienced and friendly staff will always be ready to offer free advice to you concerning an accident that you or someone you know has been involved in. There are many factors that can be addressed shortly after the accident, and we will always be ready to help you through this ordeal. If it all possible, call us before speaking to any insurance company.