Involved in a motorcycle accident? What should you do?
Being involved in a motorcycle accident can be a very traumatic experience. From the moment of initial impact, your whole world can be turned upside down. If you are involved in a motorcycle accident either as a rider or passenger, here are a few tips on what you should do immediately following and before you call an Orlando motorcycle accident attorney:
- Report the accident immediately: If you have the means, call 911 and report that you have been involved in an accident. Once law enforcement arrives, cooperate with them and explain how the accident happened in detail. If you know of witnesses who saw the crash, politely ask the officer to speak with them as well. Upon completion of the report, ask the officer for a copy of the information, or at a minimum, the name of the law enforcement agency, officer’s name, and crash report number.
- Seek immediate medical attention: Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident can vary from minor to severe to life-threatening. If you are experiencing any pain, including mild pain or discomfort, immediately seek medical attention. If medical assistance is offered at the accident scene, consider having the paramedics examine you. If you have insurance, your Personal Injury Protection will automatically cover the majority of the ambulance ride to the Emergency Room and the ER visit. If you don’t have insurance, the ambulance and hospital will treat you just the same.
- Get the names and contact information for all witnesses: Our office will immediately contact all witnesses and have them interviewed by a professional investigator. Witness statements can be very helpful in arguing how the accident occurred.
- Take photographs at the scene: If at all possible, find a way to take photographs of the motorcycle and all vehicles involved in the accident. Also, take picture of any road hazards that may have contributed to the accident (construction barriers, potholes, debris, etc). These pictures can even be taken from a cell phone or disposable camera.
- 5. Call the law office of Dan Newlin & Partners at (407) 888-8000: My experienced and friendly staff members are always ready to offer free legal advice to you concerning an accident that you or someone you know has been involved in. There are many factors that can be addressed shortly after the accident, and we will always be ready to help you through this ordeal. Remember, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney before you speak with the insurance company.