FAQ's: Your Questions Answered
DUI Accident FAQs
One of the biggest dangers of driving in the state of Florida is the unusually high number of uninsured drivers. Nearly a quarter of the drivers in Florida are operating vehicles without the proper insurance. This is should be worrisome to all insured drivers because if an uninsured driver causes an accident due to negligent driving there is no coverage available for the injured parties.
Your first line of defense is your Personal Injury Protection benefits which cover at minimum $10,000 in medical bills. This coverage will provide you with 80% of coverage for your medical bills. But what happens to the other 20%?
One of the best ways to protect yourself is to take out an elective coverage called Uninsured Motorist Coverage or UM. Uninsured Motorist coverage will compensate the victim of an accident with an uninsured at-fault driver or car.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage is a contract between an insured driver and their insurance company. This coverage can compensate for anything from injuries, pain, suffering and mental anguish. According to Florida’s No-Fault law, the victim must be able to prove that they sustained permanent injuries at the hands of a negligent driver. Beware! Uninsured Motorist carriers will do everything in their power to minimize your compensation. Uninsured Motorist coverage is structured in the same way as Bodily Injury Coverage.
Dependent on your policy, the insurance company will pay a certain amount for damages to each driver and a maximum amount they will pay for the entire accident. It normally is listed as such:
If you do not have Uninsured Motorist coverage, you can qualify for Uninsured Motorist benefits in a few different ways. If you are a passenger you can qualify through the host vehicle or the host driver’s policy. It is also possible to benefit from Uninsured Motorist insurance under a resident relative. One of the great things about Uninsured Motorist insurance is that it can also be used if a driver is underinsured to cover expenses that their insurance does not cover. For example, if the at-fault driver’s bodily injury coverage does not cover all of the victim’s expenses, the victim can use Uninsured Motorist coverage to pay for the remaining expenses.
To find out more call Dan Newlin Injury Attorneys at 800-257-1822. Accidents with uninsured and underinsured drivers can be difficult to navigate. There a lot of different options to cover victims’ medical bills but it is important to consult with an attorney who understands the complexities. Whether you have been the victim of the negligence of an at-fault uninsured or underinsured driver call today for a free consultation. Remember we do not get paid for our investigative work unless you win your case.